2013 Placement took place on Sunday, June 9th 2013 for WYS Travel soccer
Parents will be notified by email of exact placements details by early July 2013
Evaluation Process for 2013, and Q&A’s
How are players placed on travel teams?
Soccer professionals from Challenger Sports provide unbiased scores for each player. This year, players will be evaluated based on several drills highlighting individual skills and small sided games. Players will be constantly rotated so that they are always playing with and against different players in their age group, as well as evaluated by many different Challenger coaches. This makes the scoring system as objective and unbiased as possible.
· Challenger scores players based on shirt number only. Evaluators do not know player names.
· Each player receives at least four (4) individual scores. An average score is determined for each player.
· Based on the number of players registered and maximum team sizes, the number of teams for each age group is determined. For example, if 30 U9 girls register, we will build three teams of ten players.
· Teams are built based on PLAYER’S AVERAGE SCORES. Using the above example, the ten girls with the highest average scores will be placed on the first team. The next ten girls will be placed on the second team, and so on.
· It is common to have tied scores at the margin between teams. For example, players rated #9, 10, 11, and 12 all have the exact same average score (3.9 out of 5.0, for example). In such cases the board relies on WYS coaches evaluations from the most recent seasons to resolve these ties.
Teams are then reviewed to make sure player placement is consistent with coach’s evaluations from prior seasons. Although rare, adjustments are made if necessary
My child played on the A team last year, and is on a lower team this year, why has this changed?
It is important to understand that at young ages, many players’ skill level compared to their peers can change tremendously in a year. Our goal is to create teams with players of similar skills, which is how BAYS asks that teams be assembled. Previous seasons’ placement does not guarantee a player’s placement level this season.
What can I do if I am unhappy with the placement of my child?
All player placements are final. The board does not entertain requests to move players up. Encourage your child to participate fully with their team. They will make great friends and have a wonderful time. Player placements are typically a much larger issue for parents than they are for the players.
Can I request that my child be placed on a team with specific children?
No, WYS does not entertain requests for placement with specific children for travel teams.
Can I request a specific coach for my child?
No, WYS does not entertain requests for placement with specific coaches for travel teams.
Can my siblings or twins be placed on the same team?
Requests can be made for brothers or sisters IN THE SAME AGE GROUP to play on the same team. In all cases, the higher scoring child will be placed on the team with the lower scoring child but not vice versa.
My child was on a top team last year; does he/she need to attend placements?
Yes, every effort should be made to attend placements, but parents must notify the WYS Board if a player is unable to attend placements due to a conflict. Players with an excused absence will be placed on an appropriate team based on their previous coach’s ranking, but there are no guarantees as to their placement level. The board will exercise its best judgment to place players that do not have an excused absence.