Below is a basis list of what WYS expects from a WYS coach.
Prior to Season Start
- attend one coach's meeting per season, typically a couple weeks prior to season start
- agree to cori check
- notify parents of team selection/roster
- distribute uniforms
- select assistant coach- coaches will be notified if a parent has volunteered to be an assistant coach, however it is the coach's decision.
- travel coaches- complete rosters by filling in player numbers and signing
- travel coaches- provide picture for, and laminate coaches card
- Complete mandatory concussion training prior to season.
- help promote wys academy program to parents (information will be provided)
- highly recommended but not required- attend coaching certification program.
During Season - 3-5 hours per week
- strive to hold at least one practice per week, generally 1 or 1 1/2 hours per practice
- attend games, if you cannot attend find an assistant ( must have cori check etc) to cover the game.
- coaches are responsible for rescheduling games if they cannot be played at the assigned time due to weather, vacations, etc
- travel coaches - for rescheduling home games, coaches are responsible for arranging referees, obtaining field location , communicate as appropriate, if conflicts with other teams practice, arrange set up of field goals and flags etc.
- travel coaches- contact the opposing coach prior to your game to confirm time and location
- travel coaches- print and distribute two copies of your roster at each game
- communicate practice and game schedules to parents. Should also include any player expectations you have.
- line fields once per season- schedule will be posted to wys
- set up and break down fields (goals, corner flags, etc.) if you have the first/last game of day. Travel coordinator will communicate weekly who is responsible for this task.
- fall season - recruit parent volunteers for team concession assignments - typically once per year.
- fall season- distribute photo forms to parents and communicate photo times and encourage all players to attend for team photo.
- in town- distribute player trophies/ travel spring- distribute player medals, end of the year parties are by no means required, it is completely up the coach. Some teams have had small events after at game right at the field, others have get together, other fun ideas include parent-player games.... we may be able to add some ideas here.
- fall - help promote the fall parent soccer bash
- Follow BAYS Zero Tolerance and BAYS Code of Conduct
- After Games and Practice please ensure all players are pick up to the best of your ability. Don't leave kids unattended waiting for a guardian to pick them up.
- return coaches bag as directed
- travel coaches - complete rankings and evaluations within two weeks of the end of the season.